Select Page

Judicial Conduct

Court of King's Bench | Saskatchewan

Courts of Saskatchewan

Judicial Conduct

Court of King’s Bench

Judges are expected to maintain high standards of personal conduct and behaviour, both in court and in public.

Anyone who is unhappy with the conduct of a Court of King’s Bench judge can make a formal complaint to the Canadian Judicial Council. However, it’s important to first determine whether the complaint is about the decision of a judge or the conduct of a judge.

If someone is unhappy about a decision of a judge, he or she may be able to appeal it to a higher court. He or she should consult a lawyer to discuss legal options. The Judicial Council is not a court and cannot review a judge’s decision.

It should be noted that simply losing a case is not grounds for making a complaint. Further, a higher court overturning a judge’s decision does not mean that the judge’s conduct was improper.

Judicial Council Authority

If someone is unhappy with a Court of King’s Bench judge’s conduct or behavior, he or she may file a complaint with the Canadian Judicial Council (CJC). The Council oversees the continuing education of judges, handles complaints against judges, and develops consensus among Council members on issues involving the administration of justice.

The CJC only deals with complaints about federally appointed judges (in Saskatchewan, the Court of Appeal, and the Court of King’s Bench). Matters regarding the conduct of Provincial Court judges should be referred to the Saskatchewan Provincial Court Judicial Council.

Copyright 2024 | Saskatchewan Law Courts | All Rights Reserved