Wills & EstatesCourt of Queen's Bench | Saskatchewan
Courts of Saskatchewan
Wills & Estates
Court of Queen’s Bench
The Wills and Estates Registry
The Wills and Estates Registry is the registry of every estate application, such as an application for Letters Probate or Letters of Administration, ever filed in a court in Saskatchewan. These records go back to 1905.
Only some of this information is on the computer; the first 100 years are recorded in handwriting in large docket books. Caveats registered against an estate are also recorded, as are wills deposited with a Local Registrar’s Office for safekeeping.
From a search of the Wills and Estates Registry, you can determine whether a court file exists, the nature of the application, the name of the applicant, and the court house where the actual file is located. You can then contact the appropriate court house to obtain copies of any documents on the court file.
If a court file does exist, it will generally contain the following information:
- the original will, if one exists;
- a list of beneficiaries or other persons who may have an interest in the estate; and
- a list of all the assets of the deceased.
It is important to note that not all estates require probate. This registry is a listing of the estates that had to go through court only, not every estate in Saskatchewan.
Searching Wills and Estates
To search the Wills and Estates Registry, mail, fax or deliver in person a letter including the following information:
- the deceased person’s full name (and any aliases that person may have used);
- the deceased person’s last known place of residence (city or town only, civic address not required); and
- the date of death (if this is not known, please provide some indication of the latest date the person was known to be alive; closely approximating the date of death will speed the search results).
Please allow 1 to 2 weeks for search results.
Wills and Estates Registry
Local Registrar’s Office
2425 Victoria Avenue
Regina, SK S4P 4W6
Phone: (306) 787-5223
Fax: (306) 787-7217
The fee for a search is $20.
Payment may be made by certified cheque or money order made payable to: Registrar, Court of Queen’s Bench. Cash is only accepted in person (do not mail cash). Payment may also be made by credit card.
The required fee must accompany the request. In the case of payment by credit card, credit card information may be provided by phone.
ADJUST FONT SIZE