The Honourable Percy H. Maguire
1962 - 1974 Justice of the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal
Percy H. Maguire was born in Elgin, Manitoba, on October 14, 1899. His family moved to Saskatchewan in 1910, and he attended high school in Saskatoon. In 1918 he enlisted in the Royal Air Force and then entered the University of Saskatchewan, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1921 and a law degree in 1924. Mr. Maguire was admitted to the Bar in 1924 and spent the following year studying as a special student at Harvard Law School.
From 1925 to 1936, he practiced in partnership with Carroll, Sheppard & Maguire. In 1936, he and Emmett Hall formed their own law firm in Saskatoon. In 1937, Mr. Maguire was appointed King’s Council. He practiced law in Saskatoon until he was appointed to the Court of Appeal in 1962.
During the Second World War, he served for a time as acting City Solicitor. He also served for four years in Ottawa in the Judge Advocate-General’s office for the Canadian Army. Mr. Maguire was discharged in 1946 with the rank of Major.
During his years in Saskatoon, Mr. Maguire was active in civic affairs and was a member of many service clubs. He served as vice-president of the Saskatchewan chapter of the Canadian Bar Association in 1959 and 1960, and served as the president of the Saskatoon Bar Association. He was also one of the first directors of the Saskatoon Hilltops.
Justice Maguire served on the Court of Appeal until his retirement in 1974. He passed away on November 19, 1984.